What is Clomid?
Problems of the reproductive system of the female body, as it is known, can sometimes be solved without surgical interference. It is to go to the pharmacy to get the “magic” pills prescribed by the doctor. Clomid is one of drugs being prescribed for the stimulation of ovulation in women with infertility due to secondary ovarian hypofunction, mainly caused by hypothalamic-pituitary disorders.
In the course of Clomid treatment, constant monitoring of the gynecologist is required, ovarian function control, vaginal examinations. During Clomid treatment, care must be taken when driving vehicles and engaging in other potentially dangerous activities that require an increased concentration of attention and speed of psychomotor reactions.
Known facts about Clomid
- Clomid was originally developed as a pilot variant of a universal medicine fighting against the breast cancer, but, not justifying overestimated expectations, was used as a medicine to stimulate ovulation in women who want to become pregnant.
- Clomid is known for increasing the likelihood of multiple pregnancy. Medicines designed to stimulate ovulation can lead to the maturation and release of more than one egg, increasing the likelihood of multiple pregnancy. In women taking Clomid, the probability of conception of twins is 7%, and triplets – 0.5%
- The drug is effective at a sufficient level of endogenous estrogens and less effective at a low level of estrogens and is practically ineffective with a low concentration of gonadotropic hormones in the pituitary gland.
How does Clomid work?
Clomid is an antiestrogen of a nonsteroidal structure, the effect of which is due to specific binding to estrogen receptors of the ovaries and the pituitary gland.
With a low content in the body, estrogen shows a moderate estrogenic effect, with a high content – antiestrogenic effect.
Treatment with Clomid in small doses increases the secretion of gonadotropins (prolactin, FSH and LH) and stimulates ovulation. In large doses Clomid inhibits the secretion of gonadotropins. The drug has no genetic and androgenic activity.
There is a theory according to which the known antiestrogenic effect of this drug increases the probability of miscarriage. The results of one of the studies showed that the probability of miscarriage is from 13% to 25%, but it was suggested that the same percentage exists in couples who do not undergo infertility treatment.
At what diseases is Clomid used?
- Infertility: anovulatory infertility (induction of ovulation),
- dysfunctional metrorrhagia,
- amenorrhea (disgonadotropic form),
- secondary amenorrhea,
- postcontraceptive amenorrhea,
- galactorrhea (against a pituitary tumor),
- polycystic ovary syndrome (Stein-Leventhal syndrome),
- Chiari-Frommel syndrome,
- androgen deficiency,
- diagnosis of gonadotropic pituitary gland disorders.
Why do people use Clomid?
Stimulation of ovulation is carried out by various drugs, however doctors prefer prescribing Clomid as this is a drug of a direct stimulation, which lead to an enhanced synthesis of hormones that stimulate the work of the ovaries. The active substance of this drug is Clomiphene. Clomid is available in tablets that contain fifty milligrams of Clomiphene Citrate. Clomid is frequently used as it is known for providing the desired effect in the following cases:
- If the absence of ovulation is caused by a pre-diagnosed polycystic ovary syndrome.
- If infertility does not have a certain genesis, that is, with ideal medical indicators, a woman still does not get pregnant after more than a year of intense attempts. In this case, Clomid is usually used in a combination with another drug – metformin, which, in turn, increases the level of insulin and promotes the stimulation of ovulation.
- If artificial insemination (IVF, ICSI, etc.) requires additional guarantees of the success of the procedure. Although from a medical point of view, Clomid is not justified enough, many patients personally ask their doctor to include Clomid in their treatment course, since this drug is considered effective when it comes to increasing the chances of becoming pregnant.
The main reasons to choose Clomid
Reason number 1: Clomid has proved its efficiency having over 80% of positive results
Studies and years of experience show that about 80% of women who have problems with ovulation, observe the release of the ovum from the ovaries after the first application of Clomid. However, only 30% of patients manage to become pregnant immediately after the first cycle.
Nevertheless, a six-month course of consumption of Clomid is considered quite optimal, so that even if you did not get pregnant after its first use, you still have great chances to see the long-awaited two lanes in the next several months, provided the drug course is adhered to.
Reason number 2: The scheme of Clomid use is very simple
The chronology of the process of using Clomid is very simple. After your doctor has conducted a full medical examination and prescribed a prescription for the purchase of the drug, you can safely go to the pharmacy. Before use, you should always consult a doctor about the interval of use, but as a rule, Clomid tablets are taken on the third-seventh day of the menstrual cycle.
After a week from the beginning of the menstrual cycle, it is necessary to lead an active sexual life, preferably with a break interval of one day, so that your partner has time to accumulate spermatozoa ready for fertilization. If by the tenth day of the menstrual cycle your cervical mucus has a consistency of egg white, it means that you are on the right track, and that ovulation will happen soon. In a week or two, you can start using pregnancy tests and hope for the best.
Reason number 3: Clomid doesn’t cause any dangerous side effects
Side effects of Clomid are insignificant, and do not pose a direct threat to the female body. In the most frequent cases, abdominal pain, insomnia and weight gain are observed. The worst possible development of events is the appearance of ovarian cysts or the diagnosis of ovarian cancer. Nevertheless, the chance of occurrence of such consequences is very small.