Contraindications and dosage
The active ingredient of Clomid is clomiphene citrate, which belongs to the group of antiestrogenic agents. The use in small doses leads to an increase in the production of gonadotropins: prolactin and hormones with follicle-stimulating and luteinizing action, which contributes to ovulation.
If the estrogen content in the body is low, Clomid has a moderate estrogenic effect, and in case of high content, it is antiestrogenic. The intake of large doses activates the production of gonadotropins. Being an FDA approved drug, Clomid is considered safe if it is taken according to the instructions. It is recommended to check out the list of contraindications and possible side effects in order to avoid any unwanted adverse reactions.
What is the dosage for Clomid, and how should it be taken?
The dosage of the Clomid tablets depends on the purpose of the drug application.
Scheme of Clomid administration for infertility problems:
- Infertility in women: To stimulate ovulation, the instructions for use recommend that women take daily 50 mg (before going to bed). Therapy starts on the 5th day of the monthly cycle. The recommended course is 5 days. In the absence of effect, repeated drug administration (up to 3-6 courses) is performed increasing the dosage to 150 mg or prolonging the duration of therapy, bringing the course to 10 days. It is important not to exceed the total dose for the whole cycle of intake – 1 g of active substance.
- Infertility in men: Representatives of the stronger sex, experiencing problems with spermatogenesis, are recommended to take Clomid 1-2 times a day in the dose of 50 mg. During the course, men should check the spermogram.
What happens if I miss a dose?
It is better not to miss a dose if you want to get the desired effect, however, nothing horrible is going to happen if it is only once, for example. In case you miss taking the drug on the regular basis, then you shouldn’t expect that it will be helpful for solving your fertility problems.
In case a dose of the drug was missed, don’t increase it the other day as overdose may lead to unwanted side effects.
Clomid side effects and adverse events
If you take Clomid for a short period of time and adhere to the indicated doses, then it is completely safe. Most of the adverse reactions caused by Clomid are temporary and disappear after discontinuation of its use.
The main side effects are such as:
- On the part of the nervous system: dizziness, headache, drowsiness, slowing of the speed of mental and motor reactions, depression, increased excitability, insomnia.
- On the part of the digestive system: nausea, vomiting, gastralgia, flatulence, diarrhea.
- Allergic reactions to the components of the drug: rarely – rash, allergic dermatitis, vasomotor disorders.
- On the part of the genitourinary system: rarely – polyuria, increased frequency of urination, lower abdominal pain, dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia, an increase in the size of the ovary (including cystic).
Other possible side effects: weight gain, “tides” of blood to the face, rarely – reduced visual acuity, alopecia, tenderness in the mammary glands.
Overdose of Clomid may lead to the following unwanted reactions: nausea, vomiting, “tides” of blood to the face, impaired vision.
Since Clomid acts on the brain, there is a danger of its serious side effect in case of the long use. By blocking estrogen-dependent receptors in the hypothalamus, Clomid thereby causes the hypothalamus to release stimulating factors or hormones that force the pituitary gland to release gonadotropins. The pituitary gland is a small gland the size of a pea, which is located on top of the optic nerves. When hyperstimulation of the pituitary gland it increases in size. This leads to squeezing the nerves of the eye. Many reports mention a deterioration in vision in those patients who took Clomid for a long time.
There are various visual impairments: circles in front of the eyes, partial loss of vision, blurry or fogging images, flashes. This usually occurs after a long intake of Clomid, although in some patients such symptoms were observed after 7 to 10 days of use. Very often such phenomena occurred suddenly, which is very dangerous for those who are driving or operate machinery. In most cases, such changes in vision disappeared after discontinuation of the drug. In case of occurrence of such infringements it is necessary to stop immediately reception of a medicine and it is strongly recommended to address to the ophthalmologist.
Clomid can cause unwanted adverse reactions if women take it, not paying attention to the contraindications. That’s why it is check out the list of contraindications before you use the drug.
Women mustn’t take Clomid in the presence of at least one of the following contraindications:
- Individual hypersensitivity to constituent ingredients;
- Inadequate liver and kidney function;
- Intermenstrual bleeding of unexplained origin;
- Benign formation of the ovary (cyst);
- Tumors of the genital organs;
- Neoplasm or increased pituitary activity;
- Excessive growth of endometrial tissue (endometriosis);
- Dysfunction of the ovaries due to high blood levels of the hormone prolactin;
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding.
This drug also causes psychiatric disturbances, which include:
- deep depression;
Another serious side effect is a change in mood. Many reports indicate that women who have been taking Clomid for a long time develop a variety of behavioral problems.
Despite such unpleasant complications in some people, studies conducted in many clinics say that the risks to face such side effects is only 1% of women taking Clomid. There are no data on how many bodybuilders experience similar side effects.
In what form is Clomid produced, which form will be more comfortable?
Clomid is produced in the form of tablets 50 mg containing Clomiphene Citrate as the main active substance. The standard medicine form of production is really comfortable to use. There are no women and men who complain about the inconvenience of drug intake.